Monday, April 2, 2012

This one will be more positive...

I promise!  It's been a crazy good week...The day after my last post, I completed my first 50-mile trail race!  In true KFo fashion, I added a couple extra miles for good measure, running 52 rather than 50 - however, I got lost, so it's not like I did it on purpose.  The main thing is, I DID IT!  The haunting of dropping out at mile 41 from AR50 last year still stings, but not quite as much now that I have a finisher's belt buckle.  The fact that my longest run in the last 4 months was 17 miles was stupid, but at least I know I can gut it out now.  I was the 4th woman overall (out of 9 finishers, but 6 DNF'd).  Of the 70 who started, only 40 finished, so that makes me feel pretty good about my accomplishment - proved to myself I have the guts, the courage, and the wherewithal to dig down deep and get through it.  Yay me!

Also...yay team!  Amy the wonder-runner also did her first 50-miler, and it was her first TRAIL race ever.  She came in 2nd woman overall in a blazing time, and looked fresh as a daisy by the time I had completed my day.  Wow!  Plus, Yolie the Race Mom was amazing - there for Amy and I at every start/end loop, cheering us on, playing fetch, and generally being supportive.  What a great day...the mud, the sand, the heat, and the getting lost could not dampen my spirits at the end.  Not sure I'm quite ready to tackle that elusive 100, but I've got a little gnat in my ear that is trying to convince me.  We.  Shall.  See.

The rest of the week was fairly anti-climactic after that.  Recovery yoga session on Monday morning, short, easy run on Tuesday morning (quads were still a little upset with me), massage Tuesday afternoon (ouch! - but the good kind), and then a break for the legs on Wednesday and Thursday.  The excitement returned when a friend offered me a chance to take a spur-of-the-moment trip to DC for the weekend, after I had mentioned that I was free all weekend and didn't have a whole lot of reasons to stay in TX.  So...off I went.  Had a great time hanging with HC, eating some great food, running through the national mall, looking at what remained of the cherry blossoms.  Finally got to experience the cherry blossoms during festival season - and ALMOST go to bandit the Cherry Blossom 10-miler, but that would have been too perfect.

Now I am back in town, trying to get a groove for school and work, but spring break pretty much did me in.  I'm ready for summer break and beyond!  Not sure it'll be a "break" as much as "planned return to the real world," as my continuance in this program is definitely in doubt.  Once again, we shall see.  I just feel pretty schooled out right now - over 30 years of my life in these classrooms, and not sure it's gotten me anywhere.  LOL.  OK, it's gotten me a few places.  But I think I might be at that point where more isn't necessarily better.

All right...since I'm writing this to up date but also to avoid getting any work done, I better stop the word vomit and get back to doing something a little more productive.  Hope everyone (all 2 of my loyal readers!) has a great week and a happy happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment